If you have excellent nutrition that truly fuels your body optimally every day then you don’t need to use gels very often. With good nutrition you don’t really need them for short distance events but might use them for a long-distance running races or triathlons to give you a boost along when feeling tired. It is best to use real foods to fuel your performance such as bananas, nuts, beef jerky and dried fruits.
There is definitely a time and place for energy gels so why not save some money and make your own?
Here is a simple to prepare home-made energy gel that is relatively inexpensive, full of Primed ingredients that will give you a boost but wont give you the roller-coaster ride of energy fluctuations common with some sugar laden “energy” gels that can have as many as 24 ingredients (including fructose and chemical preservatives).
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt (depending on your personal taste)
1. Soak your 6 prunes in boiled water (just enough to cover the prunes and a bit more)
2. Leave your prunes to soak over-night
3. Blend your soaked prunes and the water together
4. Blend the following in equal measures: 1/4 cup of blended prunes; 1/4 cup of honey and 1/4 cup coconut oil. Don’t forget to add your 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to this mixture
5. Pour into a container and store in fridge until you need it
1. Your home-made gel has no additives and preservatives so you have to store it properly and be conscious that it might spoil if left out in the heat or is subject to temperature fluctuations.
2. Remember to wash your Primed home-made gel down with some water as it helps your body to absorb the nutrients.