We were so blessed to have had Baba Nadia help us with some wonderfully Primed Ukrainian dishes. I hope you enjoy this great cabbage roll dish called Holubtsi.
1 whole cabbage
2 bay leaves
500 grams of mince beef or pork
1 onion chopped finely
1 carrot (grated)
cup of cauliflower rice
salt and pepper
coconut oil for frying
home-made tomato sauce (see below for method)
1. Cook your Tomato Sauce. The recipe is easy but takes around 40 minutes so prepare this first. Simply chop onions and garlic and fry in coconut oil. Then add your chopped tomatoes and cook for 40 minutes or so.
It is always good to have tomato sauce prepared and in the fridge and/or freezer.
2. Cook your meat sauce by frying your onion (garlic optional) and chopped carrot first in coconut oil. Mix in your mince meat and then your cauliflower rice. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper.
3. After steaming or boiling your whole cabbage gently remove each layer of leaf as you will be using this to roll your meat and vegetable ingredients. It is recommended to place the whole cabbage in very hot water as this helps to separate the leaves without breaking them.
4. Lay out each cabbage leaf on a plate.
5. After rolling a number of meat and vegetable parcels layer them onto your baking dish then add the tomato sauce on top. Place into your 300 degree celsius oven and bake for 1 hour.
6. Once cooked simply place onto individual plates.
7. Alternatively, put onto the table to be enjoyed family style.
The Final Word
When you eat great Primed dishes like this you are building your immune system to better fight disease, you are reducing inflammation in your body and are helping to maintain a constant blood sugar level so as to live longer and better.