La Ratatouille is one of the best dishes which can be a wonderful accompaniment for most of your meat , chicken, even seafood,such as prawns or fish.
It’s full of sun, vitamins, is inexpensive and best of all, it’s Primed!
It’s a dish that everyone should know how to cook–simple and tasty.
You can eat it hot, but it can also be enjoyed cold, specially with the temperature here in Manila!
Here we go !
(For 4 Primed People)
– 3 zucchinis
– 1 eggplant
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 yellow bell pepper
– 4 tomatoes well ripened
– 2 white onions
– 2 garlic cloves
– salt, pepper to taste
– olive oil
– thyme, basil, laurel and rosemary (from your garden, )
1. Make sure that all vegetables are washed under clear, clean water.
2. Start with the three bell peppers (take a look at the pictures as it will help you). Cut the bell peppers into 2, remove all the seeds from inside and grill your bell pepper so you will be able to remove the skin (the skin of the bell pepper are very difficult for us to digest, so if you don’t want to taste bell pepper the whole day, it is better to remove the skin-just follow my steps).
3. When your bell pepper is grilled on all sides of the skin, put all of them in a bowl and cover it with a plastic film. The bell pepper will be still hot and by covering it with the plastic film for some minutes, the skin will be easier to remove.
4. When the skin is removed, just dice the peppers as shown in the picture.
5. Dice the zucchini, eggplant and onions.
6. Crush the garlic and prepare a bouquet Garnie with the Herbs. A bouquet Garnie is simply tying your fresh herbs together with a string.
7. Cut the tomatoes into 2 and remove the seeds. Then strain to remove the juice from the seeds of the tomato. Set aside this juice of the tomatoes without the seeds as you will use it later. Then dice the tomatoes. You can remove the skin as well, but it is also ok to keep it on.
Here we are, all our ingredients are already cut and ready to be cooked.
8. In a ” fait tout“, or a large pot (something like a cocotte) with a cover, put it on gas stove under slow fire and add your olive oil (about 3 to 4 table spoonfuls) and make it hot, but not too hot (make sure that there is no smoke please! If there is smoke your oil is burning).
9. Add your onions and garlic and sweat it until they become transparent.
10. Add your bell pepper and mix it for about 2 to 3 minutes. You have to be very attentive! Do not leave your pan alone since the operation can be very quick and you might burn your vegetables. Adjust your burner if it is too strong. Remember, slow and low fire always.
11. Then you can add your zucchini and your eggplant and let it cook for 15 minutes with a cover.
12. Finally, add the tomatoes and the juice of the tomatoes without the seed, adding the salt and the pepper and your bouquet Garnie. If dried herbs, then add 2 shakes each.
13. Let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes, with a cover. Make sure after this time there is not too much liquid. You can leave it on a slow fire some minutes without the cover, and remember to remove the garlic and the bouquet Garnie before to serve it to your guests .
“Et voila Bon appétit “