It’s that time of year again when the traffic gets crazier and there are many demands on your time. One aspect of your life must not take a back seat and that is the quality of your sleep. Try and always get a good nights sleep as it is the foundation block of good health. With inadequate sleep your health suffers.
Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the most important things you can do for your overall health and well-being of your mind and body. Sleep is important for the growth and rejuvenation of the immune, nervous, skeletal, muscular systems, and all other body systems.
7 Tips for a Better Nights Sleep
1. Be Regular – Try and have a consistent bed time.
2. Less Stimulants – These include caffeine, alcohol and foods such as refined grains and sugar which spike your blood sugar levels. Potatoes, fresh fruit, dried fruits and milk are other items to avoid before bed.
3. Food Is Information – Your body needs to rebuild and repair after a busy day and the best food for this includes proteins and more complex carbohydrates such as leafy green vegetables. These foods are sending the right information to your body and are probably best consumed 3 or so hours before bedtime.
4. Snack If You Want To – Make your bedtime snack one that promotes sleep by including foods high in the amino acid tryptophan such as almonds or a boiled egg.
5. No Tech – Eliminate the TV, computers and phones from your sleeping area. These are stimulants that will keep you wired throughout the night. Read a book instead. You also need your bedroom to be as dark as possible for a restful sleep.
6. Positive Thoughts – Try meditation, positive thoughts and deep breathing as a means to get you ready for some quality sleep.
7. Exercise – Not a lot, but a bit. Walk with your partner, do some push ups or squats, use a stand up desk if using your computer or simply go for a quick run after work. A little exercise helps clear your brain from the day’s stresses and tires your body so sleep is more welcoming when you finally hit the sack.
So, after your refreshing and invigorating nights sleep here is how to set yourself up for a great day.